Basic kernel mechanisms

Hi,

I needed an idea about the sequence of function calls that occur when the
user-level library call socket(,,) is made. For instance, if I wanted to
modify the number of parameters being passed to this call, what functions
should I be looking at in the kernel to modify? What is the first kernel
function called in response to the 0x80 interrupt for this call? Which is
the function call in the entry.S file for this library call...

I must say that a book like W. Richard Stevens TCP/IP Vol 2 for linux
networking would have been great...the commentary book isn't detailed
enough, esp about the interface, about the relationships between the user
library and the kernel interface....

Help!

Hari

-