Re: pop 3 error

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, C.M. Wong wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Lately, I have been encountering some prob with my pop service. I get the
> below error on /var/log/message:
>
> inetd[18313]: pop-3/tcp server failing (looping or being flooded), s
> ervice terminated for 10 min
>

> At this point, I would have to restart inetd to get pop working again. I'm
> running RH 6.2 with the latest kernel. Can anyone shed any light on this
> matter? TIA.
>

> Rgrds,
> Wong.

How much trafic is the pop server getting?  You may be getting too many
connection per minute.  If this is the case, you will need to add the
"max" directive to the entry, and tell it how many connection per minute
to allow before generating an error and stopping hte service.

The default setting is 40 connections in a 60 second period.

>From man inetd.conf:

The optional ``max'' suffix (separated from ``wait'' or ``nowait'' by a dot)
specifies the maximum number of server instances that may be spawned from
inetd within an interval of 60 seconds.  When omitted, ``max'' defaults
to 40.

Mikkel

-