Re: udp checksums

Andi Kleen wrote:

> > > Ooops, i meant dynamically enabling/disabling udp checksuming as we do for
> > > icmp_echo_ignore... :)
> > >
> > > Sharad.
> >
> > As far as I can tell from looking at the kernel, there is no facility
> > for this. I wonder why not.
>
> int on = 1;
> setsockopt(sk, SOL_SOCK, SO_NO_CHECK, &on, sizeof on);

I have thought for a long time that IP checksumming should and could be
implemented on the network interface hardware. TCP/IP is becoming more
ubiquitous on a minute-by-minute basis and this would seem to make
sense. Does anyone have any reason why this is a BAD idea? Or should we
all start writing letters to 3Com and other manufacturers begging for
this functionality?

It would certainly make life easier for my cute little 66-MHz Pentium
firewall.

Regards,
Scott
-