Re: multiple TCP sockets with same (srcip,dstip,sport,dport)

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 01:02:21PM -0700, Rajeev Bector wrote:
> Hi Andi,
>     Thanks for your patch. If I am not wrong, it seems to have two
> problems:
>
> [1]  If  the new SYN is out of window, we do send an ACK back but
>        we dont update the open_req's  rcv_isn.
>
> [2]  If its in the window, we decide to send a RST which is fine,
>        but we need to free the open_req structure.
>
> Does that seem right ?

You can have two theories about the origin of the different SYNs.
Either the host has been rebooted/the address has been redialed
and the new SYN is from the new owner of the address, or it is an
old duplicated segment in the network that is not from the owner
of the source address. You seem to prefer the first way. I and the
RFC consider it the second way. If you believe in the new owner
fully you wouldn't send RST but silently rewrite the open_request.
I think it is more clean to not let new SYNs rewrite open_requests.

-Andi
-