Congestion control

Hi all,

I need to do some congestion control experiments to observe TCP
performance during congestion. By congestion, I mean after a couple of
packets have been dropped at routers, so that TCP makes its cwnd 1 and
goes into slow start. Currently, I have a network (10MBps), with two
subnetworks and a router passing packets from one to another.

I would like to hear from people if they have done similar experiments. If
yes,  what were the kind of tools they used to check packet drops? Also,is
it possible for me to vary the queue length on my router while a test is
in progress? Would that change take effect immediately?

Also, how do you build up congestion in the network? I got a few pointers
from Rosiman(thanks!), but it would be great if somebody could tell me how
I could use netperf with T/TCP to get my network congested. The options
for either tool do not specify any overload conditions...

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Hari

-