SRM Not liking the bootp kernel code..

Sally, sally.ilgen@compaq.com from Compaq and I have been working on this
for some time now, and are progressing but, seem to be stuck here..

What I have is and Alpha 4100 {Quad 21164 EV5 4 Meg Cache/Per CPU} and a
bunch of PC164s/EB164s that are all exhibiting the same problem:

After compiling the kernel {in this case I picked 2.3.51 at random}
with a 'make boot', I then run 'make bootpfile' and get the following:

{standard srm crap:}
jumping to bootstrap code
Linux/AXP bootp loader for Linux 2.3.51
Switching to OSF PAL-code .. Ok (rev 4000e00020115)

The cursor jumps back the the begining of the "Loading" line and that is
where it hangs...
It seems to do this on pretty much every kernel I have tried it on, and
I even substituted in the generic.gz kernel of the redhat alpha cd in
place of the /usr/src/linux/arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz file just to see if
it was a problem with the way I compiled the kernel.

What I am trying to do is this:
I have 160 workstations that need a nfsroot root filesystem,
What I am trying to do is get them to pull the kernel via bootp from a
properly configured linux server, then mount the / filesystem via nfs,
and obtain thier IP and names from DHCP {which is already also setup}
I have got everything working so far with a machine that loads off of a
floppy.  I nedd to get rid of the floppy and get the bootp to go though...

They are all running current SRMs
They all are EV5 21164s
They all have supported NICs {DE500}

the SRM line I am using currently is:

boot -file bootpfile -flags "" -protocols bootp ewa0

The line I will be useing when everything works is:

boot -file filexx.xx.xx -flags "nfsroot={ip:/path}" load_ramdisk=0" -protocols bootp ewa0

Please let me know if this was either unclear or if I left anything out,
or who I should shoot it to.
Thanks:
  Sir Ace

-