Re: udp checksums

Sharad Joshi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to enable udp checksuming in linux. Theres this 'ndd' on
> solaris which can serve similar purpose, but how do i do that here. proc
> filesystem does not have anything to control udp features.

It is already enabled. At least it appears that way.

Look at the kernel source. In linux/net/ipv4/udp.c we see the following
in the comment block:

4.1.3.4 (UDP Checksums)
     MUST provide facility for checksumming (OK)
     MAY allow application to control checksumming (OK)
     MUST default to checksumming on (OK)
     MUST discard silently datagrams with bad csums (OK, except during
debugging)

Unless the comment block is WRONG, Linux defaults to having UDP
checksums enabled. You don't have to enable them, they are already
turned on. As an aside, notice the "MAY" in "MAY allow application to
control checksumming." Nothing in the standard documents says that the
OS *must* allow you to change the checksumming behavior. Therefore Linux
need not allow it. It may, in fact, but I do not know how to if that is
the case.

At any rate, checksumming should already be working for you.

Regards,
Scott
-