Network Repeater?

Hi all.

I´m wondering what would be necessary to build a wireless network
repeater. This means that pakets received on a wireless network
interface get resent over the same interface. How could I prevent that
pakets start looping around in the network when more than one repeater
is used?

Think of the following situation:

C ----- R1 ----- R2 ----- BS

C = Customer
R1, R2 = Repeater
BS = Basestation

If BS would send a paket to R2, R2 would resend it over the same
interface. R1 hears this paket and repeats it, so it can be received by
C. But not only C receives it, R2 also does. It repeats the paket again,
so it´s like playing ping-pong with network pakets. Any idea how to
avoid such problems?

The used protocol is IP, there will be a vtun-connection established
between C and BS, R1 and R2 only act as ip routers (and as repeaters).
The first idea I had was to use a tap device on R1 and R2 to listen to
the pakets and to filter pakets that have been recently sent. But what
would be the impact on the performance with this solution? The routers
are equipped with a Cyrix MediaGX 233MHz cpu, the wlan interfaces have
about 6-7 MBit/s bandwith for the user (actually, Lucent
WaveLAN/ORiNOCO). How could this filtering be done?

Any help appreciated. tia.

Bye, Mike
-