Re: your mail

Jake Brooks wrote:

> As a newbie linux user, that's what I find so confusing about the various
> distros; you think you have a handle on it, and then find that the location
> only fits a particular distro.  The etc/network/interfaces file worked for
> Debian 2.2, which is what I am working with.  Now I have that configured,
> but still can't ping the Cisco 2600 router.  I am getting comfortable with
> the directories and commands, which is progress.

Irritating isn't it.

As I'm sure you've realized, it's better to learn how to use the "real"
tools: ifconfig, route, ipchains, ipmasqadm. If you are familiar with
the network scripts for some particular distro there's nothing wrong
with using them, but relying too much on these will leave you twisting
in the wind if you ever switch to something different.

There's nothing stopping you from copying RedHat's network startup stuff
to a Debian box, or vice-versa, if that makes life easier for you.

Good luck,
Scott
-