Re: problem with tunneling multicast

Hi Andrea,

> I don't know what your specific requirements are, but have you
> tried using the multicast routing daemon mrouted?

I do not have any specific requirement, it is just a simple test. All I want
is to send the multicast through a tunnel. The only requirement is to have
the IP source address in both inner and outer headers correctly set, i.e. to
the local IP address (which is the actual sender). At the other end of the
tunnel another host just extracts the multicast from the tunnel.

And what I do not understand is why it works when I set the local IP address
of the tunnel to an address which is not local, and does not work otherwise.
(Well, actually I think I have an idea, but I have to look into the code).

Yes, OK, mrouted will probably solve this, but I am sure that it can also be
solved by appropriately manipulating the tunnels' setup and the routing
table. (Besides, let us assume that my host is not required at all to route
multicast traffic on behalf of other hosts).

> OTOH, can I ask you which video grabber did you use with vic? I'm
> having trouble with my Creative WebCam III. :)

None. I just capture the screen.

Cheers,
John.

-