JFFS2 garbage collection spike..

Hi All,
We've hit what appears to be an idiosyncrasy with older jffs2 where a large
reclaim backlog is not garbage collected during runtime, presumably due to
outstanding free block total being substantially above gc_trigger. In this
scenario reclaim does not kick in during runtime, however upon a reboot after a partition is mounted and modified, reclaim kicks in causing a stall in boot of
several minutes on a 400Mhz ARM926EJ-S.  The partition is sized at 32MB with
under 5% usage.  The application is heavily modifying a single small file.

Search of list archives for a similar issue and examination of history from where
this was observed in kernel version 3.16.7 (fs/jffs2 commit 16b9057804c) to
current didn't reveal anything obviously relevant. We've subsequently produced a work around which forces runtime gc to trigger at a lower threshold, eliminating the protracted boot time reclaim. However we're interested in a general, long-term solution and are wondering if the description here may sound familiar to others, either encountering the issue or any discussion/implementation of an approach to
address the same.

Thanks,

-john