Re: mtd: mchp23k256: How to follow a more generic approach?

On 20.02.19 08:52, Boris Brezillon wrote:

>>> I'm planning to write the driver for the ANV32AA1W during the next weeks
>>> and it would be really great to have some feedback on the approach here.
>>
>> Maybe you can create a new generic SPI RAM driver (I don't think
>> something like this exists yet), that can be used with things like SRAM,
>> nvSRAM, FRAM, etc.?
>
> Creating a new framework makes sense if you have enough to share
> between all those drivers. I might be wrong (didn't look at the code)
> but I think SRAM devices are simple enough to not require a new
> mid-layer (especially if they use a different cmdset). What we could do
> though is group them in drivers/mtd/sram/.

It's just that it seems they are using a common basic command set (at
least the ones that I have looked at) which seems to consist of READ
(0x03), WRITE (0x02), READ_STATUS (0x05), WRITE_STATUS (0x01).
Some of them might provide additional commands for write protection or
dual/quad access.
So I wouldn't consider it a "framework", but more a generic driver that
supports this basic command set to connect to all of those chips.