Re: gluebi vs. ubi-volume mapping

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 3:23 PM Richard Weinberger
<richard.weinberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:36 AM Shibin George
> <george.shibin1993@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using the gluebi driver to emulate mtd block devices on top of
> > which I use squashfs.
> > I understand that calling ubiattach will result in a gluebi device
> > getting created for each  volume on that ubi device. But is there any
> > way to figure out which gluebi device was created for which particular
> > ubi volume?
> > /proc/mtd does show the mtd device with the name of the ubi volume but
> > I have multiple volumes across different ubi devices with the same
> > volume_name hence the dilemma.
> >
> > Is there already a way to figure out, for a given "ubi-device+volume",
> > which gluebi device was created? Thanks in advance..
>
> AFAIK we have currently no good way to find this relation.
> Except the volume name. If the UBI volume has name "foo", the MTD device
> will use the same.
Got it. Guess I will have to resort to using unique ubi-volume names..

> BTW: Why are you using glubi+mtdblock at all? To support squashfs we
> have ubiblock.
> That way you can use read-only block-based filesystems directly on top
> of UBI without glubi
> and mtdblock.
ubiblock, being read-only, didn't satisfy my requirement.
The device I am working on needs to have block-level software upgrade
capability.
So gluebi was the best solution that I could find that can run block-based
filesystem.

> --
> Thanks,
> //richard