Re: [GIT PULL] FSL QSPI device tree cleanup for 4.21

Hi Arnd,

On 20.12.18 16:50, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 9:50 AM Shawn Guo <shawnguo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As the series cleans up both i.MX/Freescale arm32 and arm64 device
>> trees, the pull request is based on a merge of tag imx-dt-4.21 and
>> imx-dt64-4.21 that have already been pulled into arm-soc next/dt branch.
>> This comes a bit late, and we appreciate it if you can pull it for 4.21,
>> as it paves the way for new QSPI driver under SPI framework to land in
>> the next release cycle.  Thanks.
>
> Pulled into next/dt. For my understanding, what is going to happen
> with the fsl-quadspi mtd driver? Will it remain as part of the kernel
> to support old DTB files, or will that transitions mean those stop
> working with new kernels and have to be updated the same way?

Thanks for pulling these late changes. The old SPI NOR driver
(fsl-quadspi.c) will be replaced by the new SPI driver. Old dtb files
will work with the new driver if they already have the reg properties
set up correctly (which should be the case, but who knows what setups
exist out-of-tree).
There will be a performance penalty though if you do not set
spi-[tx/rx]-bus-width to 4.

For reference here is the latest set of patches:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/cover/1007641/

Thanks,
Frieder