Re: DOSEMU good..

John R. Sowden wrote:
> On 01/07/2014 12:36 PM, Hal wrote:
>> FWIW; re man dosemu request; I am using Word Star 6.0 nicely from:
>> dosemu-1.4.0-i486-1gv.tgz package install; machine below..
>>
>> I haven't tried hard copy printing yet, preferring to WS print to an ASCII
>> file then print to paper from Linux..
>>
>> Version 1.4.0 with it's integrated FreeDos a real pleasure.. Thanks..
>>
> if you figure out how to print from dosemu, please let us know.  I use ws
> 5.5 and bitstream fonts in a hp emulated brother laser using pcl 5 (I
> believe)
>
> John

When Your DOS application can produce PLC5 (or PCL6) output, then
You can use use 'ghostpdl' package from Artifex Software
( http://www.artifex.com/ - they are 'ghostscript' authors too)
for PCL -> postscript conversion and postscript then direct to any
printer which Linux know. I.e. some as:

$_lpt7='pcl6 -sDEVICE=ps2write -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=- -|lpr -P M1522nf'

in dosemu config file.
Similarly is possible use ghostpdl in Linux for converting PCL output
from DOS apps to PDF file by specifying some as:

$_lpt8='pcl6 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=some.pdf -'

(thanks to Stas Sergeev DOSEMU can now use more than 3 (up to 9)
printers. You must use -devel Dosemu branch for this feature.
But of course, when three printers are sufficient, any slightly newer
dosemu version can be used)

My favorite Fedora distro not contain GhostPDL package, then I did
some. They are downloadable at my small site, e.g at:

http://www.hanzlici.cz/fedoralinux/18/SRPMS/moje/ghostpdl-9.06-1.fc18.src.rpm
http://www.hanzlici.cz/fedoralinux/18/i386/moje/ghostpdl-9.06-1.fc18.i686.rpm

Franta Hanzlik