spurious dosemu error message

I use dosemu 1.4.0.1 under debian wheezy and ran into a temporarily
puzzling situation for me.  Anyone can do this by attempting to copy a
long file name into their dosemu c: drive.  Two spurious error messages
get generated.  First that it can't find the file, and second that dosemu
is out of memory.  In these cases, what is really happening is that dosemu
does not support long file names but fails to let the user know.  I
changed the file to a legal dos file name, and it copied over like a
champ.