Re: DOSEMU VGA graphics on a FrameBuffer (Was: Re: DosEMU, Ghost: VGA screen garbled...)

Frantisek Rysanek escreveu:

I am interested in making a simple linux, with something like BusyBox, only to run dos programs...

While I was looking for some solutions to my problem, I noticed there's vgaemu - the emulator that's used to display VGA graphics in a window under XWindows.

BTW, what graphics hardware do you have in mind? Have you met some framebuffer graphics device coupled to an x86 CPU, that is not VGA compatible? Okay, I know the VGA compatibility can have glitches... If you did have some such VGA-incompliant graphics device, you might face other challenges, such as getting a Linux kernel framebuffer graphics driver for that, or direct support (driver) in SDL...

I am not thinking of VGA graphics, but VESA... First of all because I use 800x600.

There are very good drivers that autodetect all existing video hardware. That is basicaly what I have in mind.

My point is that Dosemu works very well in grahic mode under X, *better then any other simulator* so my idea is just to use that as a basis for a dos system.

Thare is also a few advantages: Linux network support and better filesystem. I have noticed that compiling a program under dosemu is *faster* that with plain DOS on the same machine !!!

Alain

Good luck with your DOSEMU mini-distro. I suggest that you include a bootloader option to boot plain DOS (FreeDOS?) straight on bare metal :-)

Frank Rysanek