Slow When accessing Samba Share

I have an old DOS application (clipper/blinker) that runs well under
DOSEMU when the files are local. When the Samba share is mounted and I
use lredir for that share it is very slow -- slower than Windows XP
clients that access the same share on the same server.

Furthermore I have a DOS error 5 when I try a function in that program
on a Linux client with the SMB share. If I select retry it works. What
seems to happen is that the program is creating a file and then tries
to read it. I think because access is so slow, the file is not created
until after it tries to access it.

On the server is running dosemu-1.4.0.1 and like I said, it works with
no problems... it runs quicker than on the XP machines. On the client
it is dosemu-1.4.0.0 (which is odd, because I downloaded DOSEMU from
the site only a few days ago and the other one has been running over 6
months)

What can I do to solve this?

Server:

#smb.conf:
[drive_x]
        comment = comment
        inherit acls = Yes
        path = /data/drive_x/
        read only = No
        create mask =666
        guest ok =yes

Client:

#fstab:
//server/drive_x     /mnt/win                cifs
username=linstation01,password=anything,rw      0 0

#autoexec.bat:
lredir x: linux\fs\mnt\win