What kind of files are config.lnk and autoexec.lnk?

I installed dosemu 1.4.0.0 on my wife's new Kubuntu computer.

In ~/.dosemu/drive_c there is an autoexec.lnk and config.lnk file in addition to the standard autoexec.bat and config.sys. The .lnk files are in /etc/dosemu/freedos/ as config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Apparently dosemu treats these files like Linux soft links and executes them in preference to my own config.sys and autoexec.bat.

I need to load my config.sys and autoexec.bat settings.
What is the right way to do this?

Will dosemu even recognize config.sys and autoexec.bat if the .lnk files are not present?

In my own instance of Kubuntu I simply did a copy and paste of the text from the .lnk files into config.sys and autoexec.bat and everything works find. The identical files do not work in my wife's case.

So I'm stymied and the spousal unit is peeved.

Larry Alkoff