Accesing files from a mounted CIFS share - not working?

Hi to all;

I'm using various GNU/Linux distros, specifically Debian Etch and Ubuntu
Intrepid Ibex, both with Dosemu 1.4.0 installed and running.

I have a CIFS share, which both distros mount as /mnt/remote (with full R/W
permissions), and contains some DOS-programs and files used by those
programs. I setup my "C drive" like this:
c:\---
      |---freedos
      |---remote
      |---local
the dir "freedos" containing the OS, the dir "local" just for testing
purposes, and "remote" being a symlink to /mnt/remote.

In Debian, I can cd into "c:\remote" and run the DOS-programs and edit my
DOS-files in the share just fine.

But not in Ubuntu. I can cd into "c\remote", but when I try to run any
DOS-program in the share, it just shows the prompt again. And, when I try to
edit the DOS-files, or even try a "type DOS-file.txt", I get a "File not
found" error.

Note that I get those errors working with the files in the share, but when I
copy the same files out of "c:\remote" (into my local disk, let's say
into "c:\local"), everything works! Then I can edit my files and run my
programs.

A Dosemu/CIFS/Ubuntu related problem? Any pointing in the right direction will
be apreciated :-)

Hugo Segovia