dosemu won't load

I am using dosemu on a 6 months old machine with Kubuntu 8.04 and it works perfectly.

This week I loaded Kubuntu 8.04.1 on a machine for my wife.
It loaded dosemu the first time with the stock config and autoexec from apt-get intall dosemu but am having some problems.

Both machines are running dosemu 1.4.0+svn.1828-1.

On the first machine that loads without issues, I took the stock freedos config.sys and autoexec.bat in the ~/.dosemu/drive_c directory and added some extra lines that run 4dos and nansi.sys in config.sys and sets the path to my liking in autoexec.bat. I also have some soft links to directories in the drive_c directory.

In my wife's machine the behavior of dosemu seems to have changed.
It will not recognize the config.sys and autoexec.bat in drive_c but only looks at the config.lnk -> /etc/dosemu/freedos/config.sys and similiarly for autoexec.

Also the soft links in drive_c now do not show up.

I've attached my autoexec.bat and config.sys if the list will accept these.

Questions:
1: Has the behavior of dosemu really changed to only recognize the config.sys and autoexec.bat in /etc/dosemu/freedos?

2: How can I get dosemu to load my soft linked directories which should appear in c:?

3. How to loadhigh certain programs like 4dos.com? This dosemu doesn't seem to like devicehigh=. Most importantly I'd like to not load command.com but instead load 4dos which is so much more versatile

Thanks for any help you can give me. My wife used Windows 98 but I am changing her to Linux. She uses some old dos programs like supercalc (spreadsheet) and Q&A (edit and data base program) and probably won't accept Linux unless she can use her ancient programs. She likes the new fast machine though <g>

Larry Alkoff

rem config.sys for DOSEMU + FreeDOS
rem note that the initial "D:" is set to "Z:" at the end
SWITCHES=/F
DOS=UMB,HIGH
dosdata=umb
lastdrive=Z
files=40
stacks=0
buffers=10
device=d:\dosemu\ems.sys
devicehigh=d:\dosemu\cdrom.sys
install=d:\dosemu\lredir.com z: linux\fs\${DOSEMU_LIB_DIR}/drive_z ro
shellhigh=z:\command.com /e:1024 /p

rem lba: config.sys for DOSEMU + FreeDOS
rem note that the initial "D:" is set to "Z:" at the end
SWITCHES=/F
DOS=UMB,HIGH
dosdata=umb
lastdrive=Z
files=40
stacks=0
buffers=10
device=d:\dosemu\ems.sys
devicehigh=d:\dosemu\cdrom.sys
install=d:\dosemu\lredir.com z: linux\fs\${DOSEMU_LIB_DIR}/drive_z ro
rem by lba: shellhigh=z:\command.com /e:1024 /p

rem lba: added this to config.sys.link above

rem uncomment for cdrom support (also autoexec.bat:shsucdx)
rem devicehigh=c:\dosemu\cdrom.sys

rem !!!shellhigh=c:\bin\4dos\4dos.com /e:1024 /p

rem device=c:\bin\nansi.sys
rem devicehigh=c:\bin\ansi.sys

rem new devicehigh c:\bin\nansip.sys

rem end lba