Re: MIDI input

x.zupftom@xxxxxx wrote:
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: "Dave Phillips" <dlphillips@xxxxxxxxxx>
... it would help most if I have the program here myself. What is it and where can I find it ?

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to pass it on, though this would indeed greatly simplify things.  Yes, it's still sold and used by many music typesetters working for major music publishing houses.  It costs 800 EUR here in Germany (see http://www.atemposoft.com/Shop/dept_8.html).
Ah yes, Leland Smith's famous Score. I know about the program, and there is some history with it and DOSemu. Alas, as you point out, Score is very expensive and I'm unable to test it myself.

But I tried installing Sequencer Plus Gold to see whether it's the program that causes the problems or my setup.  But for some reason I can not install the drivers.  If the installer attempts to read the driver disk 1, the Dosemu window always closes.  I tried installing both the program and the drivers together as well as the drivers only.  However, the file vapimpu.com, which seems to be the driver needed, is already in the C:\voyetra folder.  I can start spg, but it tells me "VAPI DRIVER NOT INSTALLED. Press any key to continue the demo that won't play or record".  Adding C:\voyetra to the path variable didn't help.

These are the files in the voyetra folder:
  bashelp.seq
  help.ins
  miditest.exe
  spg_410.ov2
  spg.pif
  vapimpu.com
  call.com
  instment.lib
  spg_410.ov1
  spg.exe
  sp.ico

Could you maybe send me your voyetra folder (privately) so I can see whether this would work?
You're good already. Here's what you need to do now:

After starting DOSemu go into the directory where you have the vapimpu driver. Start the driver like this:

vapimpu

If it succeeds, you're ready to rock, and you can launch SPG. If it fails with a message about a bad or wrong IRQ, try this:

vapimpu /IRQ:n

where n equals some IRQ number (try 5, 3, or 7). There are other considerations to make if that doesn't work, but give it a try first.

It's great to have someone who is experienced with MIDI input in Dosemu!
DOSemu was one of the reasons I switched to Linux. I'm a long-term user of Sequencer Plus, and I was never happy with Windows-based MIDI sequencers. When I discovered that SPG would run under DOSemu I was ecstatic, and that was with version 0.66. :) Since then I've been very happy and productive with this arrangement. I've used SPG as my sequencer-of-choice for since 1986, first on MS-DOS, then under DOSemu for the past thirteen years.

You appear to have everything set up correctly, so let me know if you get things working or not.

Best,

dp