newb CD-ROM issue

I've installed dosemu 1.4.0 on my Ubuntu 8.04 machine from the Ubuntu
repositories.  The dosemu window starts up fine, sets up the drives, etc.

I'm attempting to run the old Avalon Hill "Advanced Civilization" game.
The game installs fine from CD.  However, when I attempt to run the
game the game itself exits with an error message, "Unable to locate
the Advanced Civilization CD".  The game won't allow itself to be run
until it can find the CD.

The CD is definitely mounted in the dosemu environment-- I can get
directory listings of it, and I was able to run the installation program
from the CD.  However, the game appears to be trying to access the CD
in some odd fashion and failing.

I'm running the default dosemu.conf, config.sys, and autoexec.bat.
cdrom.sys is loaded in config.sys and the CD drive is set up in
autoexec.bat with "lredir e: linux\fs/media/cdrom c".

Any ideas on what might be going on or how to figure out exactly what
the game is trying to do when it accesses the CD?

Thanks in advance,
Hal Pomeranz