Re: Cobol app takes 100% CPU

Hi Bart

"Bart Oldeman" <bartoldeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 27/03/2008, Rodrigo Real <rreal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  And in src/base/bios/int16.c I added a usleep before
>>  check_key_available call:
>>
>>    case 0x11:
>>  +    usleep(INT2F_IDLE_USECS/100000);
>>      check_key_available(EXTENDED);
>>      break;
>
> Good that that works for you, but I'd like to ask:
> 1. You said that the problem occurs with 1.2.2-8. Does it also occur
> with DOSEMU 1.4.0?

Yes with 1.4.0 the problem still ocurred, I did the changes in the
1.4.0 version, but before them the cpu usage were 100%.

> The jiffies adjustment does not affect 1.4.0 anymore.

I don't know much about dosemu implementation, so I don't know exactly
what jiffies does, but my it changes INT2F_IDLE_USECS,
INT15_IDLE_USECS and INT28_IDLE_USECS, since I used INT2F_IDLE_USECS
in the usleep, I guess that it changes its behaviour.

Now I see that I could had only divided INT2F_IDLE_USECS by 100 and
would have the same effect...

> 2. check_key_available has some code itself to make DOSEMU to become
> idle. Did you play with the numbers in those? They are in the
> idle(500, 20, 0, INT2F_IDLE_USECS, "int16");
> call: lower numbers mean quicker sleeping.

I didn't try that call (didn't knew about that).

I will make some more tests here with those information you sent, and
will see what results I can get. After that, I will send the results
to the list.

Rodrigo