Re: A dos character problem

Bart Oldeman <bartoldeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 4/13/07, Lars Bjørndal <lars.bjorndal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> With all versions I've tried of Dosemu, I have problem with some
>> special characters. Now, I also tried the current svn version with the
>> same result.
>>
>> I'm a Norwegian using charset iso8859-1 and no-latin1 keyboard layout
>> on a Fedora core 6 system, and without GUI. The relevant settings in
>> dosemu.conf that's changed, is:
>>
>> $_rawkeyboard = (1)
>> $_internal_char_set = "cp850"
>
> Try to make sure you are *really* using iso8859-1. Fedora has
> everything UTF-8 by default so it's easy to miss out on something.
>
> On the Linux console, for non-suid DOSEMU you'd need
> a) locale settings without utf8 (output of "locale")
The relevant setting is 'LANG=no_NO.ISO8859-1' on this system.

> b) the console in 8-bit mode (using unicode_stop)

That's done in /etc/profile
> c) a good font. I sometimes do
>  setfont default8x16
>    to get at least all cp437 characters.

On my system, iso01.16 is used. I tried default8x16, but then the
norwegian character &oslash; didn't show correctly, at least not on my
braille display.

>   Although I just checked that LatArCyrHeb* at least works for your character.

Strange, not on my system. I switched to LatArCyrHeb-16 the char 179
is displayed as a question mark on my braille display (screen reader
is BRLTTY). I got a sighted person to check, and it's displayed like a
pentagon. It's displayed the same as Alt-178 also. Of course it's strange that
it's displayed as question mark on the braille display, since only
question mark is defined as question mark in the used braille table.
UTF-8 is not supported by BRLTTY.

>>     Character : ³ (0263, 179, 0xb3
>>     charset: eight-bit-graphic (8-bit graphic char (0xa0..0xff))
>>     code point: 179
>
> 0xb3 (or alt-179) produces a vertical bar in most DOS codepages (incl
> 437, 850, ..)

Ok, but it should not be displayed exactly as the normal vertical bar
|? It has to have it's own uniqe representation?

Is there other things to try?

Lars
-