Re: FM sound

On 3/20/07, Jan Willem Stumpel <jstumpel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Somebody called my attention to the fact that in the latest SVN
versions of the dosemu source code, there is "revision 1718":

a) Does this mean that dosemu is now again being developed
   cooperatively and peacefully? Are all conflicts resolved?

Yes, and no. There have recently been patches by Michael Karcher (very
good work to fix some nasty cpuemu bugs which is good for the x86-64
port) and also by Stuart Axon. When I had more time to work on DOSEMU
last October and November, Reinhard Karcher was also following closely
and provided good feedback.

I haven't heard from Stas after September last year, but I think 1.3.4
has addressed all or most of his concerns. But I don't know why, Stas
and I have argued a lot in the past, it's probably a personality clash
(on both sides) since with most other people it usually doesn't go
that way.

I just decided to incorporate Stas' work... cautiously as a run-time
option, to make it easier to maintain than as a seperate patch, and
hopefully it will have the kinks worked out with a little time, and
the old system can be deleted.

b) This new sound support does work on my system in some programs
   but not in others. For instance, in Wolf3d the music stops (and
   dosemu hangs) after a few seconds with the message:

     ERROR: PCM: ERROR: buffer on stream 2 exhausted (Adlib)

   How to cure this? An earlier application of the "Sergeev sound
   patch" on my system did not have this problem. I use MS-DOS 6,
   (well, out of laziness), not freedos.

I don't know. I can give it a try later, though I am quite busy these days.
Stas' new sound system has been applied pretty much unmodified so it
is a bit strange.

Bart
-