Unbootable system with kmod-31

[ Resend due to HTML not making it through ]

Hello Lucas, et al,

I upgraded from kmod-30 to kmod-31, and could not boot due to an
inability to load any module.  Any invocation of insmod bombs with,
"decompression failed with status 6".  I strace'd the issue to the
call to finit_module().  In kmod 30, the call to init_module()
works fine.

All modules are xz-compressed, for which support is present in the
kernel (using mainline kernel 6.5 here).

    CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_XZ=y
    CONFIG_KERNEL_XZ=y
    CONFIG_MODULE_COMPRESS_XZ=y
    CONFIG_FW_LOADER_COMPRESS_XZ=y
    CONFIG_XZ_DEC=y

However, on a whim, I tried "make nconfig", searched for any
kernel config options containing "XZ", and at the top of the list:

    # CONFIG_DECOMPRESS_XZ is not set

That appears to be an automatically-set option triggered by the
presence of initrd; but:

    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD is not set

I don't know if (de)compression on an initrd is related to same
on a module, but it was the only thing I could find where XZ was
not =Y.

Kris

[Index of Archives]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]