Re: Module failure on new install of Debian Bullseye

On 6/3/2022 10:09 AM, Luis Chamberlain wrote:
On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 11:00:00PM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
	I may have a valid module ready to load copied from an archive of the
kernel I am using on this system.  I have placed it in

Huh? You should not be copying around modules loosely from other
kernels.

I know that. This not from "another" kernel. It is from an archive of the same kernel. IOW, I have another machine running a 5.10.0-15-amd64 kernel that was upgraded from 5.10.0-13-amd64, and still has the 0-13 bnx2x driver still in the archives.

/lib/modules/5.10.0-13-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/bnx2x/

	How do I proceed with attempting to load the driver?  Is there some way I
can insure the system will still boot with the existing LAN intact? It looks
like the system may try to eliminate the 1G interface when a module for the
10G exists, whether the 10G is working or not.

Sounds like you want to engage with the bnx2x developers and report
whatever it is you are seeing.

	I have been trying (and apparently so have others) with no success.

But note, you should probably try a more recent kernel.

The same problem exists there. Indeed, I need to wipe the other server and reload its OS, but I will run into precisely the same issue, since it is the 5.10.0-13-amd64 that is on the installation DVD. I am physically disabled, so having to reconfigure hardware for a reinstall is a real problem.

I suppose I could upgrade the new server to 5.10.0-15-amd64, but then I still need to install the 5.10.0-15-amd64 driver. No matter what, I need to insert the module. When I look up the man for insmod, it says, "don't use insmod, let the kernel do it", or words to that effect. So now, what? One way or anotehr, I need to get this system working, and then I need to do the same with the other system.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]