Re: lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -12

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 2:19 AM Joe Buehler <aspam@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> When running lspci -v on Ubuntu 20.40, I get the error message:
>
> lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -12
>
> I tracked this down to a possible libkmod issue.  The kernel I am using
> has an empty modules.builtin.aliases.bin file (modules.builtin.aliases
> does not exist).

It is indeed a little bit confusing, but modules.builtin.alias.bin is
created from
modules.builtin.modinfo that should come with the kernel.  Is this a
custom kernel or
one from the distro? modules.builtin.alias.bin should either not exist
(in case the kernel
doesn't have modules.builtin.modinfo) or should be a valid index.

Indeed depmod doesn't create the file unless it has something to
write. I wonder if the error wasn't
because the call to depmod failed for some reason (out of space?).

Looking at a ubuntu 20.04 system I do have both
modules.builtin.modinfo and modules.builtin.alias.bin. If I remove
modules.builtin.modinfo and call
depmod -a, then the latter is not created.

Lucas De Marchi

> kmod_load_resources() doesn't like this.  It calls index_mm_open() which
> checks the file size, sees that it is less than sizeof(hdr), error
> terminates, causing kmod_load_resources() to return -ENOMEM.
>
> kmod version 27 as shipped with ubuntu 20.04
>
> Please copy me on any responses, I am not on this list.
>
> Joe Buehler

[Index of Archives]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]