Support for /usr/local/lib/modprobe.d

Hello.

We are working with a project that ships a blacklist file [1] that is
supposed to be installed to modprobe.d directory but it is not clear
what the default installation path should be.

Distros will typically install modprobe config files to
/lib/modprobe.d but it is common to use /usr/local as the default
prefix [2] for manual `make` invocations. The manual page [3] does not
list /usr/local/lib/modprobe.d as a supported location though.

In the past module-init-tools added [4] support for that path but that
repo appears to be abandoned and it does not look like kmod supports
it [5].

1. Am I missing something, or was this an omission when porting
modprobe to kmod?
2. Could the support be added?
3. Should we default to /lib or /etc for manual `make` invocations for
now?

[1]:
https://github.com/medusalix/xow/blob/4aa49f27cb6fcb3da995da9e8d51167bed40f520/Makefile#L22
[2]:
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html#index-prefix
[3]: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/modprobe.d.5.html
[4]:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/module-init-tools/module-init-tools.git/commit/?id=9454d710137be3799f343cc9d0f833f0802e2111
[5]:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod.git/tree/libkmod/libkmod.c?id=f5434cf5fc5b567359e1b9207bbab24c6782cfbd#n65

Cheers,

Jan

[Index of Archives]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]