Re: kmod vs module-init-tools regression

22.04.2012 17:39, Dave Reisner skrev:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 05:19:35PM +0300, Thomas Backlund wrote:

>>> This seems like a total misuse of install rules. Surely you meant to
>>> use an alias here instead, e.g.
>>>
>>>   alias ide-controller ide_generic
>>>
>>> And this works with both M-I-T and kmod.
>>>

>> Actually we (and Mandriva before us) have been using install rules for a
>> long  time like this:
>
> Ah, so here comes the full story... =)

Yeah, it has a long story :)

>> remove sdhci_pci /sbin/modprobe -r mmc_block; /sbin/modprobe
>> --first-time -r --ignore-remove sdhci_pci
>> install sdhci_pci /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install sdhci_pci
>> && { /sbin/modprobe mmc_block; /bin/true; }
>> remove tifm_7xx1 /sbin/modprobe -r mmc_block; /sbin/modprobe -r tifm_sd;
>> /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove tifm_7xx1
>> install tifm_7xx1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install tifm_7xx1
>> && { /sbin/modprobe mmc_block; /sbin/modprobe tifm_sd; /bin/true; }
>
> This whole mess seems solvable with softdeps.
>
>   softdep sdhci_pci post: mmc_block
>   softdep mmc_block pre: tifm_sd tifm_7xx1
>
> And it covers both install and remove.
>
>> install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ahci; /sbin/modprobe ata_piix;
>> /bin/true
>> install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd;
>> /bin/true
>> install ide-controller /sbin/modprobe ide_pci_generic; /sbin/modprobe
>> ide_generic; /bin/true
>
> Why would these things not be picked up by udev?

IIRC it was done this way to enforce loading order in the way we want it.

And there still seems to be some need as we have reports of for example
pata_acpi loading before specific pata_* drivers screwing up hw support
(like cdroms not working etc.)

And the same for forcing ata modules over ide

>> And I dont think alias will cope with this...
>>

> Seems to me like you're solving a problem that either doesn't exist, or
> you're solving it in entirely the wrong place.

Well, it does or atleast did exist back when the code was added, and
since module-init-tools have happily worked with this, I guess no-one
has thought of doing it differently... :)

--
Thomas