Re: kmod depmod ARM bug

Hi Ambroz,

* Ambroz Bizjak <ambrop7@xxxxxxxxx> [2012-02-03 02:52:23 +0100]:

> Hello.
>
> [ see bug report https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues/127 ]
>
> The depmod program from kmod fails to properly compute kernel module
> dependencies on ARMv5 systems:
>
> [root@alarm ~]# modinfo bridge
> filename: /lib/modules/2.6.39.4/kernel/net/bridge/bridge.ko
> version: 2.3
> license: GPL
> srcversion: 6B583530AE2B39C7E2317BF
> depends: stp,llc
> vermagic: 2.6.39.4 preempt mod_unload ARMv5
> [root@alarm ~]# depmod
> [root@alarm ~]# cat /lib/modules/2.6.39.4/modules.dep |grep bridge
> kernel/net/bridge/bridge.ko:
> [root@alarm ~]#
>
> See how modinfo properly lists the dependencies, but modules.dep which
> depmod generates does not contain them. As a result, most kernel
> modules fail to load because their dependencies are not loaded by
> modprobe.
>
> The cause is unaligned memory access in a hash function. Patch is
> attacked, and linked to in the above link.
>
> Best regards,
> Ambroz Bizjak

Thanks for very descriptive bug report _and_ patch :-).

This code came from Eina[1] so I was very surprised with your bug
report since Eina works fine in ARM. However when Gustavo imported
it, his changes broke unaligned accesses like you noticed.

I'd prefer a solution more in line with eina's implementation, that
is... creating a get16bits() or get_unaligned_short() macro that do the
right thing and use it instead of assigning the value of the iterator.

Could you prepare this patch?

Thanks
Lucas De Marchi

[1] http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/browser/trunk/eina/src/lib/eina_hash.c