Re: kmod 3 - endless loop in insmod_do_soft_dependencies

Hi Mantas,

[ CC'ing Dave Reisner ]

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Mantas M. <grawity@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a /etc/modprobe.d/virtualbox.conf with the following contents:
>
> | softdep vboxdrv post: vboxnetflt vboxnetadp
>
> With module-init-tools, this would cause 'vboxnetflt' and 'vboxnetadp'
> to be loaded automatically after 'vboxdrv'. With kmod 3-5 (Arch Linux
> [testing]), `modprobe vboxdrv` appears to go into an infinite loop and
> soon segfaults.

It looks like there's a dependency loop. vboxnetflt or vboxnetadp
depend on vboxdrv and with the soft dependency you created a loop.

This one is easy to break, because we should be detecting that the
dependency was already inserted.

I'm fixing this for the next version and I'll send here the patch, so
Archlinux can pick it up before the next release.

Dave, did you see any similar bug report? It's one more place where
the implementation in libkmod is fixed, but modprobe is shooting its
own foot.

Lucas De Marchi