Re: module locking

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 13:42 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:30, Jon Masters <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Why would we need anything like that? Shouldn't the load syscall
> >> serialize all that properly?
> >
> > It doesn't quite though (in the 2.6.18 kernel I'm focusing on right now,
> > upstream has some slight changes in the module loader code since then).
> > We only run under stop machine during the actual link and unlink,
>
> I don't think we ever run under stop_machine

Let me be clear, "we" do in the sense that the kernel module.c code
requires a stop_machine in order to perform the actual link/unlink
operation of the module. And certainly more so in older kernels. But
anyway, we don't use it very much in any case, so we're mostly able to
run other modprobe instances that might come along.

Jon.