Re: TODOs

On 7/3/09, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andreas Robinson napsal(a):
>> And a loose idea:
>>
>> * Deprecate and eventually remove modules.dep (i.e the text file)
>> handling from modprobe. Rationale: Why have two ways to do the same
>> thing? Is there a need to edit the dependencies directly?
>
> Modprobe could check the timestamp of modules.dep and print a warning if
> it's newer (= edited) than modules.dep.bin.

No, that's not it.  It's a fallback for backwards compatibility.

We could remove the text files, I guess it's just a question of when.
The intention was to keep them to ease the transition, and in case of
future transitions (binary format changes).  But the binary format
seems stable now.

modules.dep has a manpage, but it's not used externally.  People who
want to know module dependencies are just running modprobe -D.  We've
already broken modules.dep as an interface (changed absolute paths to
relative paths) and no-one noticed.  We should definitely remove the
manpage.

Alan