Install SMTP

I'm quite sure this is not the right group, so maybe you can point me in the
right direction.

I want to install smtp on a hardy linux server and let it run on as well
port 25 and 26. It needs to authenticate users before accepting to send
mail. What's the best way to do this or where will I find instructions? I'm
not very well known to linux, but can manage a bit because of my broad
experience.