Re: new release pending

On 3/28/09, Jon Masters <jcm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'll drop the -pre and do a new release, then pull in any pending
> patches (OTTOMH it's only about 1-2 trivial ones I've seen). We should
> then revive the cleaning up of the different vendor configs next week.
>
> Jon.

Ok, I have some more ideas for code/test cleanup.  Didn't want to
delay the release, but it sounds like I should post patches now.
Here's advance warning.

1. Testsuite isn't suitable for "make check", so don't run it from that.

This will fix "make distcheck".

2. Add --valgrind option to testsuite, to enable running test programs
under the memory checker.

3. Remove the disabled test cases for generate-modprobe.conf.

generate-modprobe.conf has been touched recently, and the testsuite
has been refreshed a couple of times.  But generate-modprobe.conf is
of limited interest, and no-one has tried to enable, fix, or update
these tests.

4. Remove backcompat support for pre-2.6 kernels.

The git-log, Changelog file, and release notes in Ubuntu Launchpad
claim that backwards compatibility for pre-2.6 kernels has been
removed.  In fact, "insmod.old" and friends are still supported.  The
patch in question simply removed an unused include from modprobe,
which didn't support backcompat in the first place (!).

Justification from git-log: "I figure that module-init-tools are so
closely tied to the kernel that it can adopt the same policy of
ejecting obsolete stuff".

Backwards compatibility was essential for the transition, but it's not
important now.  I don't mind the extra code too much, but I'd like to
be able to remove the necessary cruft from "make install".

Alan