Re: sdhci_am654 and runtime-pm issues

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 at 15:16, Uwe Kleine-König
<u.kleine-koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I looked at the sdhci_am654's probe function and concerning runtime-pm
> this is at least unconvential:
>
> It does
>
>         clk_xin = devm_clk_get(dev, "clk_xin");
>         if (IS_ERR(clk_xin))
>
>         /* Clocks are enabled using pm_runtime */
>         pm_runtime_enable(dev);
>         ret = pm_runtime_resume_and_get(dev);
>
> I'm not fluent in runtime-pm stuff (so I added Rafael to Cc), but I
> thought it is to be used the other way around, i.e. put the device in
> operational state and then runtime-pm cares to suspend the device under
> some conditions (e.g. CONFIG_PM being enabled).
>
> With CONFIG_PM unset the driver is broken for sure, as then
> pm_runtime_enable() and pm_runtime_resume_and_get() have no effect. So
> the clk stays off.

In principle, you are correct. I wouldn't recommend the above pattern
in general, but it doesn't mean that it can't work.

Some platforms are selecting "PM" from some of their toplevel Kconfig,
as they simply can't work without it. That means that the code you
refer to above, doesn't have to be broken.

[...]

Kind regards
Uffe

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]