Write in-place w/o erase? (f2fs on microSD)

Hello!

I'm designing an embedded program that has to log messages on a microSD
card -- so I presume a simple FTL.  I'm wondering if I can initialize an
erase erase_size portion of a file with 0xff and then make multiple
writes that only clear bits, and get in-place writes (w/o an erase)
instead of using out-of-place writes on a new block each time.  In this
way, I could just write the message size for each message (always less
than 255) and interpret an 0xff as "end of list".

I've looked through the mmc sources a bit and I'm not even sure if this
would be a function of f2fs, the mmc layer or the FTL.

Is this possibly what F2FS_IOC_SET_PIN_FILE is for?

I do realize that if I make writes that require erases that I'll likely
break wear leveling, so I'll want to make sure I'm never triggering erases.

Thanks!
Daniel

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]