Re: [REGRESSION] sdhci no longer detects SD cards on LX2160A

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 03:03:29PM +0100, Robin Murphy wrote:
> On 17/09/2019 14:49, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
> > As already replied, v4 mode is not documented as being available on
> > the LX2160A - the bit in the control register is marked as "reserved".
> > This is as expected as it is documented that it is using a v3.00 of
> > the SDHCI standard, rather than v4.00.
> >
> > So, sorry, enabling "v4 mode" isn't a workaround in this scenario.
> >
> > Given that v4 mode is not mandatory, this shouldn't be a work-around.
> >
> > Given that it _does_ work some of the time with the table >4GB, then
> > this is not an addressing limitation.
>
> Yes, that's what "something totally different" usually means.
>
> > > However, the other difference between getting a single page directly from
> > > the page allocator vs. the CMA area is that accesses to the linear mapping
> > > of the CMA area are probably pretty rare, whereas for the single-page case
> > > it's much more likely that kernel tasks using adjacent pages could lead to
> > > prefetching of the descriptor page's cacheable alias. That could certainly
> > > explain how reverting that commit manages to hide an apparent coherency
> > > issue.
> >
> > Right, so how do we fix this?
>
> By describing the hardware correctly in the DT.

It would appear that it _is_ correctly described given the default
hardware configuration, but the driver sets a bit in a control
register that enables cache snooping.

Adding "dma-coherent" to the DT description does not seem to be the
correct solution, as we are reliant on the DT description and driver
implementation both agreeing, which is fragile.

>From what I can see, there isn't a way for a driver to say "I've made
this device is coherent now" and I suspect making the driver set the
DMA snoop bit depending on whether "dma-coherent" is present in DT or
not will cause data-corrupting regressions for other people.

So, we're back to where we started - what is the right solution to
this problem?

The only thing I can think is that the driver needs to do something
like:

	WARN_ON(!dev_is_dma_coherent(dev));

in esdhc_of_enable_dma() as a first step, and ensuring that the snoop
bit matches the state of dev_is_dma_coherent(dev)?  Is it permitted to
use dev_is_dma_coherent() in drivers - it doesn't seem to be part of
the normal DMA API?

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]