Re: Possible bug in sdhci_set_power_reg

Hi Uffe,

On 02/08/2019 14:15, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 at 15:17, Phil Elwell <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi MMC team,
>>
>> I've spent some time trying to add a regulator to control power to an SD card
>> (vmmc-supply) on an SDHCI-equipped system. After a few false starts and red herrings
>> I found that powering up the regulator during the boot process was effectively disabling
>> the SDHCI controller. Note that this was despite having regulator-boot-on set in the
>> device tree.
>>
>> The problem seems to be in sdhci_set_power_reg:
>>
>>         mmc_regulator_set_ocr(mmc, mmc->supply.vmmc, vdd);
>>
>>         if (mode != MMC_POWER_OFF)
>>                 sdhci_writeb(host, SDHCI_POWER_ON, SDHCI_POWER_CONTROL);
>>         else
>>                 sdhci_writeb(host, 0, SDHCI_POWER_CONTROL);
>>
>> This looks plausible for the MMC_POWER_OFF case, but setting the SDHCI_POWER_CONTROL
>> register to SDHCI_POWER_ON (0x01) has the side effect of settings the SD Bus Voltage
>> Select bits to 0b000 (a reserved value).
>>
>> sdhci_set_power_noreg() includes logic to calculate the correct values for the voltage
>> select bits, so I found that (in my limited test cases) replacing the if/else above
>> with a chain call to sdhci_set_power_noreg() was sufficient to get everything working.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what I've been doing wrong, or suggest a better "fix"?
>
> There are other sdhci variants having the similar needs, hence we have
> the flexibility available via using the optional ->set_power()
> callback.
>
> Have a look at sdhci_arasan_set_power(), for example.

I don't understand. Can you explain what writing 0x0001 to the SDHCI_POWER_CONTROL register
is supposed to do according to the specification? And why is the Arasan SDHCI implementation
not the default?

Thanks,

Phil

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]