Re: Linux v5.0-rc7: bcm2835 MMC issues

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 08:03:10PM +0100, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> > Aaro Koskinen <aaro.koskinen@xxxxxx> hat am 24. Februar 2019 um 16:07 geschrieben:
> > After upgrading from v4.20 -> v5.0-rc7, I'm getting MMC issues on
> > RPi3. Below is one example, system just ends up being completely freezed
> > after couple hours into GCC bootstrap (passed fine with v4.20).
> >
> > Happened three times already (also after replacing the MMC card just
> > in case).
> >

> thanks for your report.
>
> Can you give us a more detailed test scenario?

Well, I have minimal arm64 rootfs + swap on MMC. Then I extract GCC
8.3.0 sources and try to do the compiler bootstrap:

  mkdir build
  cd build
  ../gcc-8.3.0/configure <long list of options here>
  make -j4

Then just wait. :)

> How long does it take until the issue occur?

I would say 1-2 hours. The serial log shows ~6500 seconds, and I started the
build right after the boot.

My guess is that the issue occurs during the stage in the build where there
is some really heavy swapping going on (almost 1 GB swap used).

> Did you already tested v4.20.12 or only v4.20?

Only v4.20, and it was already few weeks ago when I did the GCC 8.2.0
bootstrap. It went fine (5 hours build + 12 hours testsuite) without
any errors in dmesg.

> Does the issue occur in v5.0-rc7 if you make sdhost use PIO mode
> (CONFIG_DMA_BCM2835=m)?

I have currently test running where I moved the file system and swap from
SD card slot behind an USB SD card adapter (still the same physical SD
card). And that has been running fine for 4 hours already. I want to
first see if that one finishes properly, then I can start a new test
using sdhost and PIO mode.

A.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]