Re: Why no fallback when tuning fails?

Hi Shawn,

> >  From experience. One of my customers has a long-term test which works
> > fine without HS200 and has occasional tuning problems with HS200. Of
> > course, we are also debugging why HS200 fails in the first place.
> >
> > Still, there is this question why Linux doesn't fall back to something
>
> I can't remember linux-mmc had a discussion about fallback for this,
> so I guess it is just because nobody proposed patch(es) for that.
> Honestly I thought of fallback last year, not just for tuning failure
> but allow it from HS400(es) -> HS200 -> DDR52 -> SDRx etc, but never
> start writing one bit for that.

What other scenarios except tuning failure did you have in mind?

> Just like your case, could that confuse users that sometimes the
> system I/O work slowly but sometime not? some boards luckily work fine

In my case, with unattended systems deployed in the field, a slow rootfs
is much preferable to a Kernel OOPS. Likely, a demon will be running
checking the logs for unexpected messages but I don't know that for
sure.

> but some boards not, which make the user experience(probably production
> quality) not so much consistent? The users seldom check the log to know
> what happended but we/developers do, and we still need to help point out
> what's wrong here.:)

Here, there is no user using the device.

> Another one is, if the tuning works fine mostly, should we retry more
> tuning to make is work? What we should do if the re-tuning fails but

For me, signs are that it is indeed a SoC errata which causes a
wrong internal state. If this turns out to be true, more retries
wouldn't help, sadly.

> tuning when booting works? I guess we need a power cycle and dynamic
> speed mode fallback for runtime.

Yes, I'd agree.

Thanks,

   Wolfram