Enabling MMC BKOPs in kernel based on host caps

Hi all,
	I’ve seen an eMMC failure due to pending background operations on a certain OMAP device since bkops enable bit was not set.
Further investigation showed me that someone already posted patch to enable Background operations in kernel  based on a host capability check (Caps2 & BK_OPS_EN)
but was turned down quoting that it should be enabled from user space using mmc-utils.

Enabling this would add one additional check for exception event in the response R1 or R1B (only on hosts that explicitly set BK_OPS_EN in caps2).
But not enabling this could lead to a system failure especially when the Filesystem is on eMMC and the card stops responding due to pending critical bkops.

I would like to ask for expert opinion on ‘why is it a bad idea to enable bkops in kernel?’
It’s a one time programmable bit but if it helps in keeping system functional why not do it?
I haven’t measured the performance impact but I don’t see a reason for major drop because the frequency of critical bkops events would be less.

Regards,
RK