determine erased regions (was: mmc-utils on android)

Hoping this might be easy for someone to answer:

Is there a command to determine if a region of blocks in MMC
storage is erased? Such as getting 0xFF out of a nanddump on
MTD storage.
I'm thinking I could retrieve data using dd on the MMC device
and look for the appropriate pattern to see how much of the
storage that has been explicitly erased?

(looking at mmc-utils source it seems it is not what I need)

Thanks
Mike