Re: adding aliases to mmc ... again

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 01:23:27PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 05/22/2014 12:21 PM, Sascha Hauer wrote:

> >> Does it solve the following, which AFAIK has always been the primary
> >> argument against aligning block device IDs with controller IDs:
> >>
> >> - User inserts SD card into MMC controller ID (or alias) 1.
> >> - /dev/mmcblk1 now exists
> >> - Mount /dev/mmcblk1 on /mnt/tmp
> >> - User removes that SD card
> >> - /dev/mmcblk1 still exists, since it's mounted so can't be deleted
> >> after the card removal.
> >> - User inserts SD card into MMC controller ID (or alias) 1.
> >> - /dev/mmcblkN (N is something other than 1) now exists
> >>
> >> Now, the block device ID must be != the original ID, since two block
> >> devices exist.

We could limit this to non-removable devices. This problem cannot occur
there. Would that be acceptable?

> > No, it shouldn't solve that, but it's out of scope for this patch. All
> > it solves is to reliably find the rootfs. If the card containing your
> > rootfs is removed you are in trouble anyway and it won't help if it gets
> > the same mmcblkno once it's plugged again. For other devices which don't
> > contain the rootfs there are enough possibilities to find them in userspace.
>
> I don't think there should be any special cases for the root fs.
>
> I don't think the disadvantage of the UUID= or PARTUUID= issue you
> mention enough is really an issue in general. If it is for some
> platform, then the root fs should be cryto-signed and validated to
> prevent someone from using the wrong root fs.

To put this in context with a real use-case: what we is "boot from eMMC"
what you're suggesting gives us "don't boot from SD-Card" that's not the
same thing and certainly not an acceptable alternative.

And I find it rather ironic that you suggest a solution that has basically
the problem why you're rejecting the alias solution: In both cases mounting
or using the filesystem we want may fail.

Michael