imx6 emmc issue

Dong,
Hello, I am currently working on an Freescale iMX6 SABRE Board platform
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=RDIMX6SABREBRD

I'm trying to run with mainline kernel/uboot/buildroot just to be a bit more
up-to-date than the LTIB distribution. I am trying to setup a ROOTFS directly
on the eMMC device.  Referring to this thread on the freescale forum:

https://community.freescale.com/message/363870?et=watches.email.thread#363870

I'm working with linux-3.12 and patch-v3.12-next-20131119 and I've applied these
additional patches: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mmc/23339

I am able to access the emmc device from linux when using fdisk; however,
when I attempt to run "mkfs.ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p1" the "Discarding device blocks"
step takes over an hour (80 minutes last time I tried it).

Fabio Estevam (from freescale) suggested I report this to you.
Are you aware of this issue?  Are you aware of anyone that's actually tried
to do mkfs.ext3 on emmc with a recent kernel version for this board/SOC?

Thanks in advance,
Ed Sutter