[Q] Vqmmc vs. Vmmc supply

Hi

I'm trying to understand requirements for switching Vmmc and Vqmmc supply
voltages of SD cards.

IIUC, Vmmc is the card supply voltage, applied to the card's VDD pin,
Vqmmc is the voltage, used to pull up signal lines. Traditionally it used
to be the same voltage, respectively, OCR reflects _the_ voltages, that
cards support. Both voltages also would normally be supplied by one
regulator, so, applied and removed "simultaneously."

Now this changes with UHS SD cards, which require 1.8V Vqmmc and 3.3V Vmmc
for high-speed operation. The SDHCI driver provides a reasonable example
of the run-time power-supply management. I've also looked at the SD
simplified physical layer spec (part 1) final version 3.01. But, I still
have (at least) one question: what is the correct way to bring up the two
regulators - Vmmc and Vqmmc in a generic case? I.e., if they really are
provided by two separate regulators? Arguably, this isn't a very safe (or
even compliant) design. Probably, you would supply Vqmmc from Vmmc too, in
which case "enabling" Vqmmc first should be safe, but what if those are
really two independent regulators? If we power Vmmc first we risk random
garbage on data lines... So, looks like we really have to enable Vqmmc
first and just hope that this really won't apply power to the pins before
Vmmc is also switched on? Or should cards be able to handle Vqmmc on with
Vmmc off?

Thanks
Guennadi
---