Re: MMC_CAP_POWER_OFF_CARD, MMC_PM_KEEP_POWER - when to set

Hi Guennadi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Guennadi Liakhovetski
<g.liakhovetski@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry, I mean - you don't know what card will be plugged in, so, you
> cannot know, whether that specific card and its driver can be safely
> powered off.

We do know in certain cases, most commonly with wifi SDIO cards which
are hardwired to the board.

> Ok, I think, it's this: MMC_PM_KEEP_POWER is for system-wide suspend /
> resume, whereas MMC_CAP_POWER_OFF_CARD is for runtime PM. Am I right?

MMC_CAP_POWER_OFF_CARD is used by SDIO runtime PM, but I won't
classify it as "runtime PM" specific. It describes the hardware, and
not inherently limited to a specific use case.

> that case, I think, they also should function similar

Can you explain why ?

> - wouldn't it make
> sense to use MMC_CAP_POWER_OFF_CARD similar to MMC_PM_KEEP_POWER - as a
> static capability flag (meaning, whether the board is physically able to
> switch power) and a dynamic flag, that, say, an SDIO function driver could
> set if it knows, that it cannot handle runtime power switching properly?

I'm not sure I'm following the reasoning.

Can you explain what are you trying to solve ? Is there a specific
problem you have in mind ?

Thanks,
Ohad.