Re: "Prevent too long response times for suspend" breaks libertas_sdio

Hi Daniel,

On 04/16/2012 10:25 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
Hi,

This commit breaks libertas_sdio suspend:

commit b6ad726e3fe69e1ff3c3b2ad272ba3e4c376cd6a
Author: Ulf Hansson<ulf.hansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Thu Oct 13 16:03:58 2011 +0200

     mmc: core: Prevent too long response times for suspend

     While trying to suspend the mmc host there could still be
     ongoing requests that we need to wait for. At the same time
     a device driver must respond to a suspend request rather quickly.

This patch causes the device to be claimed while the driver's suspend
method is called. This seems questionable to me. It should be up to
the driver to deal with or cancel any pending requests in the
interests of suspend performance. Even if they take a while to
complete, it might be best to let them complete rather than discard
the user's data.

In this case in the suspend handler we have to communicate with the
card. In libertas_sdio we do the communication in a workqueue
(because, outside of the suspend routine, sometime we need to initiate
communication from atomic context), but that seems like an
implementation detail that shouldn't be trampled upon by the higher
layers.

Alright, I think I realize your problem.

The workqueue will be hanging waiting for the host to be claimed. At the same time libertas_sdio suspend handler, which is called from "mmc_sdio_suspend" function will wait for the work to be "synced", but since the host is pre-claimed from mmc_suspend_host, it will hang forever. Have I got it right?

Not good. :-)

In principle that means the host must not be claimed when calling the sdio drivers suspend/resume callbacks.

This method of punishing "badly-behaved" drivers (for some definition
of the phrase) is also quite harsh. Maybe its just my incompetence but
it took me a couple of hours to track down why my driver was suddenly
hanging with no warning message during its suspend routine.

The idea with my patch was to prevent scenarios that kind of should not occur, were for example and SDIO driver work queue suddenly wanted to do a sdio request at the same time when the host is being suspended. I will have to think of another way to handle that then.

Reverting the patch is likely not a good idea, since there has been other pieces of code adding the try_claim_host call in the mmc_suspend_host function. I think we shall create a "cleanup" patch instead, which removes the try_claim_host thing, at least as a first step. I am on it immediately.

Then we can you can think of a more long term solution, if still needed.

What do you think?

Can we revisit this?

Thanks,
Daniel